Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Welcome!

Curiosity about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) has grown considerably over the last few years. With a Mormon vying for the White House and a hit musical about LDS missionaries on Broadway, more people are becoming familiar with some of the basic doctrines of the LDS church. Unfortunately, misinformation has also led to confusion about who Mormon are and what they really believe.

A few months ago, I felt inspired to start this blog. As someone who was a committed Catholic and who had little exposure to the LDS faith until my 20s, I can fully appreciate how odd some Mormon beliefs can seem at first (e.g. the gold plates, the resurrected Christ visiting the Americas, baptism for the dead). While the LDS faith fascinated and intrigued me, I had no intention of ever joining the church. Six years passed from my first encounter with missionaries while a Catholic volunteer in Chile to my baptism in October 2011 in Washington, DC.

This blog will be part personal history and part personal reflection on Mormon beliefs. My intention is to be a resource for those who were like me-- people who have come to believe that the LDS church is Christ's church but who are nervous for whatever reason to join. I also hope that this blog will help me to learn more and to continue to strengthen my own faith. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at itstrueisntitblog at gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting!
Emily

2 comments:

  1. really great idea! I'm sure many will appreciate hearing your experiences and perspective

    ReplyDelete